Saturday 7 December 2013

Johnny Cake Recipe

Before moving down to the Virgin Islands, I wasn’t one for trying new foods. I’d shy away from anything flavorful or foreign and would get the same dish at every restaurant; chicken breast. Since moving down to St. Thomas, I couldn’t let myself be afraid anymore! When I moved, I promised myself I would submerge myself into the Caribbean culture and wouldn’t settle for anything less, which means, I had to expand my palate. I’m not going to lie, Caribbean food can be a little intimidating at first! It’s known for its vibrate flavors, cooking from memory rather than recipe, and lots of herbs! Once I tried it though, I couldn't believe I ever was afraid.


These are the ones I made
I’m starting today with a Johnny Cake recipe for a reason. It’s a very popular snack in the Virgin Island and it’s very similar to other snacks back home. It was my Caribbean gateway food, if you will. After eating this biscuit/doughnut like snack for the first time, I was curious as to how you would make it. Once looking it up, I realize it’s not hard at all!

You can either make Johnny Cakes fried or baked, but fried is the preferred way. Unfortunately, my studio apartment doesn’t come with a frier, so, obviously, baking was the next best thing. If you have a frier, defiantly use it. That’s the way a Johnny Cake was intended to be made and it creates a delicious glaze, compared to baking them, which leaves them a little dry. Either way, they are tasty! 




This recipe makes about 8 Johnny Cakes
(I cut this recipe in half because I only wanted to make four)

Ingredients

3 Cups of Flour

1 Tablespoon of Baking Powder

1-1/2 Teaspoon of Salt

2 Tablespoons of Sugar

1/2 Cup of Shortening

2/3 Cup of water or milk (or enough to make it doughy)

Oil for fryer, depends on fryer

Directions

1. Mix all dry ingredients together. (Flour, baking powder, salt and sugar)











2. Cut in the shortening.












3. Slowly add the milk or water. Just enough to make it soft!
4. Knead it until it is smooth and sticks together.












5. Let it sit for 10-20 minutes.
6. Make into palm sized dough balls and then flatten them












7. Use a fork to poke a few holes in the flattened dough

For Baking

8. Set oven to 350
9. Let them bake for about 15-25 minutes (depends on the size), or until done.

For Fryer

8. Make sure the fryer is hot, then gently place in fryer.
9. Use medium-high heat over stove, flip over every few minutes until brown and crusty on each side.
10. It’ll take about 15-20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment